Work out smarter: Best gym trackers and wearables

Work out smarter: Best gym trackers and wearables

Let these trackers supercharge your gym sessions
The best gym wearables

If you're planning on hitting the gym, there's some top wearable devices to make your workouts a little easier. While joggers have long enjoyed the benefits of GPS running watches, the latest gym wearables can guide you on your form, exertion and reps to help you get the best results faster.

Whether you're a die hard gym bunny or just looking for a way to add accurate information from your sessions to your daily activity tracking, there's a wearable to suit you.

Where older devices that tracked your movement proved useless on the static machines in the gym, the latest crop of heart-rate sensing tech means that you can get an accurate picture of your calorific burn, whether you're hitting weights or indoor cycling.

Essential reading: Best heart rate monitors

Here are some of our favourite wearable gym aids. Some are available now, some are coming soon...

Gymwatch

Worn as an armband or on the upper leg, the GymWatch is one of the few wearables designed to measure strength. The user adds inputs the activity using the smartphone app, while the gadget measures motion. The resulting calculation delivers quantifiable strength data, whether its using free weights, pulley's or lifting the wearer's own body weight.

Through the special formulas it is able to calculate explosive strength, speed strength and muscle strength in real time, while it can also determine half/full reps and give users advice on posture.

$99, gymwatch.com | Amazon

Skulpt Chisel

The more affordable successor to the Skulpt Aim, the Chisel similarly measures body fat and muscle quality when placed on different areas of the body. It works by sending a small current to both the muscle and the surrounding fat.

As the current flows depending on the muscle's fitness, the app is able to determine the quality of 24 different muscle groups. There's no built-in screen this time, so users will have to track improvements over time and identify areas that require improvement using the companion mobile app.

$99, skulpt.me | Indiegogo

Fitbit Charge HR

One of the most stylish and functional wristbands on the market, the Fitbit Charge HR is more gym-friendly than its predecessors thanks to the built-in heart-rate sensor, which provides continuous information in real time.

Essential reading: Fitbit Charge review

This makes it perfect for zone training, allowing wearers to maintain intensity or crank it up in order to reach goals. As the information is displayed directly on the LED display, it's easy to make quick adjustments. As Fitbit says, every beat counts.

$149.95, fitbit.com | Amazon

Beast

Like the Gymwatch, the Beast sensor is all about tracking what you can lift bro. Packing a series of motion sensors, the magnetic wearable can be worn around the wrist, on a Beast vest or slapped onto a weigh machine delivering a whole host of strength data including reps, intensity, starting strength and explosiveness.

Data is sent in real time to your smartphone or tablet or you can review progress through the web portal. You can also create custom exercises and get training advice on whether to up the load sets or the number of reps in your workout sessions.

From €249, thisisbeast.com

Basis Peak

This fitness watch is one of the most advanced, impressive trackers on the market, thanks to the abundance of sensors and the impressive tracking and analysis tools. The Basis Peak has an advanced 24/7 heart-rate sensor (or wrist-based optical blood flow engine) as well as sensors keeping taps on motion, perspiration and skin temperature.

Thanks to the in-app Habits system you'll also get little prods and nudges when you need to step things up a little bit, while the watch UI makes it easy to check the current heartrate and progress towards daily goals.

$199.99, mybasis.com | Amazon

Atlas

"The first wearable tracker that actually tracks your workout" raised $629k on crowdfunding site Indiegogo. It can detect motion on three axis and measures it against “exercise fingerprints" in order to determine what type of activity you're performing.

It knows if you're doing push-ups or bicep curls, and can even learn new exercises by analysing your motion. It's water resistant and can tell the difference between the strokes when you take to the pool.

It'll count your reps, measure your heart rate and won't let you get away with poor form. Could this be the perfect gym wearable?

$249, atlaswearables.com | Amazon

Athos

Athos, much like OMSignal and Hexoskin combines snug-fitting, biosignal monitoring sensor-loaded garments and a Bluetooth enabled wearable core chip in order to help athletes harness some of the most precise and in-depth workout data imaginable. Together the combo records the data of the entire body in motion and transmits it back to an app in real time.

It is capable of recording every movement, muscle exertion, breath and heartbeat and could potentially revolutionise the way athletes train.

Core $199, liveathos.com

TomTom Spark Cardio + Music

The TomTom Spark is much more than a running watch and among its multisport tracking now includes a gym mode where you can monitor your heart rate from your wrist to see if you're working hard enough.

It can also track treadmill and indoor bike sessions plus comes with a built-in music player so you can leave the phone in your gym locker.

$249.99, TomTom.com | Amazon

Radiate Thermal Vision

Remember those pointless Global Hypercolour t-shirts that changed colour in different temperatures? Well, Radiate has a take on that 90s fad that's actually of use.

Using NASA technology, no less, the world's first thermo-chromatic athletic shirt offers a visual of how hard each muscle is working by transferring your bioenergy into satisfying living colour. This enables users to identify which muscles are being worked and which they should target.

Space age tech to replace our smelly old cut off gym, shirts? Yes please.

From $34.99, radiateathletics.com

Jabra Sport Pulse

You're already wearing headphones in the gym to keep you in the zone and block out all of the douchebag gym-bros right? So it makes sense to build the tracker into a pair of buds! The carbon-encased Jabra Sport Pulse earphones place the heart rate tracker right in the inner-ear.

There's a resting heart rate test while the Rockwell test allows users to calculate their VO2 Max by walking 1 mile at a comfortable pace. The Jabra headphones also team up with a companion app to offer voice guided zone and interval training.

$199.99, jabra.co.uk | Amazon

12 Comments

• meza530 says:

hows doe atlas actually measure form ?

• m.sawh says:

Hi, the Atlas identifies any exercises that require wrist movement and uses the built-in motion sensors to capture that action in 3D. As I understand it, there's a list of exercises the Atlas will work with (about 50 to start with) and should hopefully grow over time. Hope that helps!

• alinaprokho says:

Which product can best help me in the gym? will anyone recommend a workout for me. I feel like i am not always doing the workouts correctly, is there a way to ensure that i am getting the most out of my workout?

• Gadgety says:

Wareable @Chris Smith: If you rate the apps as in "best" you have to have used them if you want to be credible and creat a readership Wareable. This is just a listing of what is, almost, available. So let the heading read "Gym wearable trackers alternatives."

• rficocie says:

BUYER BEWARE!

DO NOT PURCHASE A WATCH FROM THIS COMPANY. I would like to begin by saying that I feel it is important to allow the company to make things right with the customer before going to social media; however, I have allowed more than enough time to have this situation rectified and it has not been.

The watch does seem to have some really great features; however, after my experience it is my recommendation that you go with a competitor’s option.

I ordered the watch as a gift for my fitness buff boyfriend; after charging the device for two days, it still would not turn on. I would like to add that I am no beginner to these types of technology, so this is not operator error. I emailed the support line that had been helpful in answering questions for me in the past. Email is the only way to contact; the phone number provided on the website is for a google line, which in my experience is never answered. I would like to mention that prior to purchasing and receiving the device, every time I reached out to Atlas Wearables via email, I was quickly responded to, for ALL inquires, within the hour.

This time I asked for the directions to return my device. I received a response that had trouble shooting tips for turning on the device.I kindly replied to email explaining that I did not request troubleshooting tips, I requested return information. I was then sent the instructions to return the device, which requires waiting for an RMA number to be sent to my email, so that I may return the device at cost to me, which I am willing to do. So, I sent the information required and I have yet to receive the RMA number and it has been two weeks. I did receive one email stating that they have never had a device not work before and they cannot figure out how to process a return unless I use the troubleshooting tips and confirm that the device is not working. I have only received that one response since the last request. I am accusing this trying to keep me past the 30-DAY return policy by intentionally ignoring my emails. I am disgusted and so sad that this is occupying my time and currently my work day. We enjoy fitness a lot in my home and I was excited for this device, and I thought that you were a respectable company that I could trust; I see that I was wrong. I will continue to warn people about your company and encourage them to reach out to companies who will provide customer service without terrorizing its customers. I will only retract my statements if I am provided with the RMA number, and upon the return of my device I receive a refund.

Thank you for ruining my gift, stealing my money, and ruining my work day.

Rose

• SupaMonkey says:

@rficocie Thanks Rose, but you failed to mention what watch 'this watch' is. Please let us know what you're talking about because the article refers to a couple of watches.

• Mikeymike says:

she said the atlas watch

• Jschuley303 says:

I was given a "beast sensor" for Christmas this year and have had a horrible experience working with the company to get one that does work. As of today, February 15, 2016 I still have not used or received a working device. This device is $200 USD. Only email communication is available and have been told numerous times that they will ship one to me. I have now asked for a refund as this is unacceptable service. I thought the device would be perfect for my crossfit style workouts only to realize that I no longer even want the device  after all the hassle. I hope this helps anyone who is shopping for a wearable. If only I had a large social media presence.

• BeastSensor says:

Dear Jschuley303,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with our product. Our support team tried to help you as much as they could, keeping explaining the company’s policy regarding your issue and asking you two videos with different OS, just to be sure of the nature of the problem that was affecting your device.

At last, we refunded your entire purchase.

We’d like to apologize again for this unhappy experience and we hope you could try our product again in the future.

Best regards

• Jschuley303 says:

I received a "beast sensor" for Christmas 2015 from my girlfriend. I though it was great and that I couldn't wait to use it and it's capabilities. I got to the gym and it didn't work at all. I emailed beast sensors and they asked me to take a video of the sensor. So I did this with my iPhone since it states it's iPhone  compatible. After sending this, beast technologies asked me to take the same video with a android. I don't own an android but used my friends and performed the same steps they wanted and recorded it again. With no success I sent the video and they said it was damaged. Since the early part of January I have been told from their email customer service that a new one would be shipped. The last time I was told it would be shipped was on Febraury 2, 2016. I still haven't received a working device other than a couple free years on the web portal. At this point I pretty much just want my money or my girlfriends money back from the company since there is no reason a company should be acting this way.

• BeastSensor says:

Dear Jschuley303,

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with our product. Our support team tried to help you as much as they could, keeping explaining the company’s policy regarding your issue and asking you two videos with different OS, just to be sure of the nature of the problem that was affecting your device.

At least, we refunded your entire purchase.

Best regards

• LCh says:

Pretty disgusted in how overpriced and bloated the wearables tech field is today. Low quality, made in china watches by brands that wont be around in 2 years going for $199. Makes no sense.

What do you think?

Connect with Facebook, Twitter, or just enter your email to sign in and comment.